Friday, March 22, 2013

Punky Power!

Oh, the 80's. As a kid in a small town, I wasn't exactly up on all the latest trends. But there were a few pop-culture aspects of the time that influenced me more than I would like to admit. One of the biggest:


Punky Brewster was my favorite. She was smart, creative, and devious without being malicious. And she made a lot of mistakes, which is what actually happens in childhood. She was a good person without being a goody-goody. She was friends with the weird kids. She was a weird kid. She lived in a crowded apartment, as opposed to the giant houses that every other TV kid seemed to live in (I'm looking at you, Silver Spoons). Also, Punky often dealt with real-life stuff, not just the convoluted high-jinks of many other shows. Some of the best episodes addressed runaways, the death of the Columbia astronauts, drugs, stealing, child abuse, training bras, childhood obesity, love, disability, and playing in abandoned refrigerators.

I even/especially loved the It's Punky Brewster cartoon:



I came across a few Punky related chotskies that grown-up me has been coveting:

I want this real bad.




But I want this more.


Can anything be better than vintage paper dolls?



Yes. An original animation cel from the cartoon series. Gimmie.




No comments:

Post a Comment